Welcome to LVHC on the web! Our virtual resource center.
We are a non-profit organization serving Harrison County West Virginia.
We offer free and confidential tutoring to adults, teens, and children who seek to improve their skill set and work towards that goal.
We provide services to all ages Pre-K through adult. We do not discriminate due to gender, race, ethnicity, or economic status.
Literacy Volunteers of Harrison County Inc.
Partners with Proliteracy of West Virginia
- 10% of our population (123,622 people) had less than a 9th grade education (2000 census).
- Approximately 9,700 adults in Harrison County need help to complete an employment application, follow written instructions, or read a local newspaper.
- Approximately 12,800 adults would require a higher level of literacy to function effectively in society, find employment, or be trained for new jobs as the workplace changes.
- Many children and teens are struggling to keep up with their peers in reading and math classes.
- Helping adults with their basic skills can help solve many of West Virginia's economic and social problems. A person's chance of finding employment increases with improved reading skills. This, in turn, improves his/her ability to support a family.
This Video Clip from CBS News helps share our passion for wanting to help others read.
Facts About Illiteracy In Our State:
Need help to improve your SKILLS in... Academics, Career Exploration, Workplace, Computer, ESL, Life and/or Personal skills?
Perhaps Literacy Volunteers can HELP !
Contact Us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
PH: 624-0533 We're Located at
LVHC Office Hours
Monday through Thursday
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Our office is CLOSED on Fridays and Holidays.
Tutoring Assistance Schedule:
There are tutors at the LVHC Center on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 4:30 - 6:30 and Thursday evenings 5-7 pm.
The center is open for independent study if you are registered in an online class GCF Learn Free or GED Academy M-Th 10 am - 4pm (but can sometimes be unavailable)
Our Tutors are also working at the Hope Academy located at the Clarksburg Mission. LVHC students can attend at those times as well. Tuesday mornings 10:00 - 12:00, and Tuesday evenings 6:30 - 8:30.
During the School Term
Tuesdays, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
Wednesdays, 2:30-3:15 p.m
Mondays, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
On Site during the School Day
Also by Appointment at the LVHC Office and Learning Center
If there is no school, or an early dismissal, there will be no Tutoring Assistance that day
Questions, suggestions or request about this site please
Our services are FREE, however we appreciate and accept Donations of Financial contributions, as well as other donations that we could use in assisting us to provide service to the community .